No Cost Add-Ons
Download Geosoft viewers, plug-ins and development tools.
Learn more about Geosoft development partners and partner solutions.
montaj plus Extension CET Grid Analysis
The CET Grid Analysis extension consists of a number of tools that provide automated lineament detection of gridded data, which can be used for first-pass data processing.
The CET Grid Analysis extension provides a rapid unbiased workflow that reduces time when interpreting large volumes of gridded data.
The extension contains tools for texture analysis, phase analysis, and structure detection. These are versatile algorithms useful for grid texture analysis, lineament detection, edge detection, and thresholding.
Texture analysis-based image enhancement
Useful for highlighting local intensity variations, this method enhances regions of discontinuity within aeromagnetic/gravity datasets. Trends are found in the data by identifying regions of textural complexity in the local magnetic response before looking for axes of symmetry. Such axes are likely to be distinct linear discontinuities in the signal.
Regions of magnetic gravity discontinuity usually correspond with, and can reveal, lithology boundaries, faults, and dykes critical to understanding the geology of an area.
Using the texture analysis output, it finds the skeletal structure of the regions of the magnetic/gravity discontinuity. The output is a set of binary skeletal line segments that belong to each of the discontinuity regions, clearly showing the changes of orientations and offsets within the structures."
The process uses the following techniques:
- Texture Analysis - Highlights the locations of complex local textures often associated with discontinuities in magnetic data.
- Phase Symmetry - Using the results of the texture analysis, detects any laterally continuous line-like regions of discontinuity.
- Structure Detection - Using the phase symmetry results, reduces the regions containing discontinuities into skeletal structures detailed as a binary grid.
Discontinuity structure detection
This approach applies phase-based edge detection directly to data to find edges whose noise characteristics and poor contrast limit the effectiveness of traditional gradient based approaches. As an alternative method of identifying linear discontinuities, edge detection can be performed directly on magnetic or gravity data. Using a phase-based approach will ensure that even features lying in low contrast regions will be detected.
This process emulates the traditional manual drawing of interpretive lines along the discontinuity. This includes:
- Phase Congruency Find edges in magnetic or gravity data irrespective of their orientation or contrast with the background.
- Structure Detection Generate trend line estimates from the edge information detected by the phase congruency transform.
Key benefits of CET Grid Analysis are:
- Quick access to new layers of information assist with the interpretation of magnetic and gravity data.
- Rapid workflows aid productivity when creating a first pass unbiased view of the data.
- Full scalability for use in regional scale or property scale data sets.
- Versatile tools can be used on different data and in different ways.
- Two workflows are included. The first method is suitable for analyzing regions of subdued magnetic or gravity responses where texture analysis can first enhance the local data contrast. The second method, edge detection, is useful in identifying linear discontinuities.
CET Grid Analysis was developed by the Centre for Exploration Targeting (CET). It is licensed and distributed by Geosoft as an Oasis montaj plus third party extension.
Barrick Gold, The University of Western Australia, Centre for Exploration Targeting (CET)