Focused on advancing earth exploration, since 1986. The Geosoft Story
Web Application Developer
Full Time, Permanent
With offices across five continents, and a network of international business partners, Geosoft serves thousands of organizations, including government geological surveys and agencies, educational institutions teaching earth sciences, land and marine subsurface investigations, and the most successful oil and mineral explorers in the world. Geosoft has been ranked as a Top 150 Technology Company, and one of the Ten Best Workplaces in Canada. We provide a quality work environment that is informal but professional, friendly, and supportive. The company is employee-owned and has strong living company principles.
For more information on working at Geosoft, please see Life at Geosoft.
Job Title: Web Application Developer
Team: Research and Development
Location: Toronto, Canada
Reports To: Product Manager, Web Services
The Web Application Developer is responsible for fulfilling on our digital-first initiatives through the development and integration of web applications. In this role you will ensure the successful delivery of our web application projects, and play an integral part in advancing our connected user experiences, future web services architecture, coding standards, and best practices.
100% Web Development:
Work within a team environment to design, develop, code, test, implement, and support Geosoft’s web applications. This includes:
- Execute web development from workflow models (i.e. mock-ups, wireframe, prototypes).
- Contribute to continuous improvement in web function, administration, and design.
- Identify potential areas for improvement.
- Assist with the development of web platform architecture, applying architectural and engineering concepts to ensure that all solutions meet the requirements, for example: scalability, maintainability, security, reliability, extensibility, flexibility, availability, and operational manageability.
- Perform complex product design activities which may require extensive research and analysis.
- Identify and communicate technical problems, processes, and solutions.
- Participate in product design meetings.
- Perform bug verification, release testing, and beta support.
- Conduct unit testing and integration testing for functionality and limits.
- Identify potential areas for improvement in current methodologies.
Other Job Information
This position requires a Web Application Developer at the intermediate to senior level. Travel of up to 10% may be required.
Education and Work Experience:
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science or in another discipline with a significant programming component is required.
- Minimum five years web-based Application Programming experience (i.e. Web Service, SaaS, e-commerce platform) is required.
- Geology, geophysics or GIS industry experience or education, an asset.
- Experience working within an Agile product development environment, an asset.
Knowledge and Technical Skills:
- Excellent knowledge of current web-design trends and techniques required.
- Excellent knowledge of server-side programming required.
- Relational database and/or No SQL experience required.
- Experience integrating 3rd party technologies required.
- Experience with User Centric Design principles and responsive design required.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated experience with cross-browser and cross platform requirements (IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Mobile Browsers, etc.) required.
- Experience in Azure or other IAAS/PAAS technologies, an asset.
- Flexible, collaborative approach with a positive and professional attitude.
- Critical and creative thinking skills with a strong technical aptitude and a passion for making things better for our customers.
- Demonstrated commitment to leading, mentoring, and encouraging growth in developers and team members.
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies and APIs.
- Self-motivated and well organized approach with a strong commitment to quality and an excellent eye for detail.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with other team members.
Please send your CV and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject header Web Application Developer.
Closing date for applications: October 28, 2016.